South Africa is home to Africa’s most advanced automotive industry. Seven major original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). The automotive value chain in the Eastern Cape is extensive and well-established with over 150 companies involved in the production of components and sub-components as well as replacement of parts and accessories. An estimated 70% of the South Africa's automotive component manufacturers are based in the Eastern Cape.
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) include Mercedes-Benz SA, Volkswagen Group SA, Ford Motor Company of SA (Engine Plant), Isuzu and BAIC. The province is also home to Medium, heavy commercial vehicle manufacturing for Faw Trucks, Isuzu, Daimler and Volkswagen.
The identified value chain opportunities for Automotive Economy are(not limited to):
- Center consoles
- Instrument panels
- Body parts pressing
- Injection moulded products
- Engines and engine components
- Chassis modules and components
- Aluminium forgings and castings
- Autonomous vehicle applications
- Replacement of parts and accessories
- Electric power assistance steering wheel
- Electric vehicles, components and batteries
- Additive manufacturing, optimum materials and components